EU and non citizens residency

Acquiring the right of permanent residence

As an EU national (or a national of Iceland, Liechtenstein or Norway), you automatically acquire the right of permanent residence in another EU country if you have lived there legally for a continuous period of 5 years.  If you fulfil this requirement, you can apply for a permanent residence document, which confirms your right to live in the country where you now live permanently, without any conditions.

The permanent residence document is not compulsory.

However,  it can be useful when dealing with the authorities or for administrative formalities. The authorities may no longer require you to prove that you have a job, sufficient resources, health insurance, and so on.

Applying for a permanent residence document

To get a document certifying your right of permanent residence, you must submit proof that you have been living legally in the country for 5 years.

You need to send different supporting documents with your application, depending on your situation (employed, self-employed, jobseeker, pensioner, student). This could include:

  • A valid registration certificate issued when you arrived in the host countryvidence that you’ve been living in the country, such as utility bills and rental contracts
  • Evidence such as pay slips, bank statements, tax returns that you’ve been working, studying, self-employed, self-sufficient or looking for work

The document is automatically renewable without any condition or requirement. However, its validity may differ depending on the issuing country.

Qualifying for permanent residence before 5 years

You can lose your right to permanent residence if you live outside the country for more than 2 consecutive years.

Permanent residence for your EU family members

The same rights apply to your EU family members. They are also entitled to a permanent residence document in the country where they have resided with you legally for a continuous period of 5 years.

NON-EU citizens residency

Each case will have to be REVIEWED AND counseled

NON-EU residency and visas

At JF&B we understand that efficient advice is necessary in view of the multiple legal needs that may arise in your residency status in Spain.

Our team of professionals have a high qualification and more than 30 years of experience in residency applications.

Save time and money, Consult us !!